The work program for young adults at Penrith Farms is unique in the industry when integrated with our counseling method. Because maturity is a tremendous issue with young adults that are failing to launch into adulthood. Therefore young adults may not deal with adversity well, or they might be used to getting things their own way. Sometimes with ordinary expectations they might lash out or act out. Many young adults lack a good work ethic. At Penrith Farms we instill simple concepts such as: being on time, and staying focused.
Penrith Farms provides a safe place for troubled young adults. So it is a place to work out issues that prevent them from learning the life skills for independent living. Boredom and idleness can cause many problems with any individual and finding purpose can be what propels an individual forward. Other young adult programs may look at a young adult’s issue as simply resolved through isolation, therapy, and/or recreation. At Penrith Farms we take holistic approach to our student’s issues and we consider work a part of that approach.
Students in our work program take care of their own living spaces. As they improve and become more trustworthy, they will start working on farm projects with everyone else. Opportunities such as: Gardening, Animal Husbandry, Woodworking, Construction, and Culinary Arts. Subsequently, we base all these tasks on the idea of instilling work ethic and a sense of pride in your young adult. Therefore, without the ability to take care of one’s self and perform many of the tasks we require of them, a young adult will never become an adult no matter how much therapy they receive.
A Typical Day in Our Work Program
- 6:30 Wake up, personal hygiene, clean their room, breakfast and house chore.
- 7:30 Meet with supervisors for the day’s schedule which can include: gardening, animals, landscaping, individual counseling, or classes.
- 8 – Noon Work Projects
- Noon Lunch and kitchen chores
- 1 – 3 Mon – Group
- 3 – 4 Mon – Class or Work
- 1 – 4 Tue/Thu – Gym or Class
- 1 – 4 Wed/Fri – Class or Work
• Strong Work Ethic • Honesty and Integrity • Communication Skills • Interpersonal Skills • Time Management Skills • Problem Solving Skills • Self Confidence • Team Player • Professionalism • Responsibility • Respectfulness • Dependability • Dedication • Determination • Accountability • Humility • Positive Attitude • Adaptability